Debit Card FAQ

Glynn Griffing & Associates has compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions.  Should you have a question not listed here, please feel free to contact us through this website or call us during office hours. 

Q:  What is the benefit of participating in a Cafeteria Plan?

A:  The Cafeteria Plan allows you to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses, daycare expenses and certain payroll deducted insurance premiums with tax free dollars.  The monies deducted from your paycheck for Cafeteria Plan expenses are not subject to Federal, State, or Social Security Taxes; therefore, your take home pay is greater when you compare participating in the Plan vs. not participating.

Q:  I have out-of pocket medical expenses every year. How exactly does this plan work?

A:  You determine how much money you and your family will spend out of pocket for medical, dental, vision and prescription expenses for the next plan year. A Medflex account will be set up for you. Payroll will divide your annual election by the number of pay periods and take an equal amount of money from each check tax free. You have access to all funds in your account as you incur claims, not as payroll deducts money. Be conservative in your estimates because the use-it or lose-it rule does apply.

Q:  What happens to my balance if I don’t use all my money by the end of the plan year?

A:  The spending accounts are based on a “use it, or lose it” rule; monies that are not requested with proper documentation when the “run out” period is over will lose any funds left in the account at the end of the plan year and these funds are forfeited to your employer.

Q:  How do I file a claim for reimbursement?

A:  Complete a Reimbursement Request form, attach supporting documentation and submit to our office by any of these options:

  1. Fax to (844) 859-7308
  2. Mail to Attn: GGA Claims at P.O. Box 16509, Jackson, MS  39236-6509.
  3. You can also login to your personal account at by clicking on the blue FSA Login button and submit claims through the secure “Online Claims Entry” option.

Q:  How can I check my Medflex and Careflex balances?

A:  You can check your balance online at by clicking the blue FSA Login button on the top right of the page. Registration and login instructions can be accessed here.

Q:  What type of supporting documentation is acceptable?

A:  An explanation of benefits (EOB) or a pharmacy printout is acceptable documentation; however, in some cases, and itemized statement may be accepted.  Proof of payment must also be included for Orthodontic, Prenatal and Premium claims.

Q:  What is an itemized statement?

A:  An itemized statement show the date of service, the provider of services, the procedure performed, for whom the service was done, and the amount charged.

Q:  Can I only get reimbursed for what I have actually contributed to the plan?

A:  Yes and No. For your Medflex account, your employer must make all of your annual election available to you at anytime during the year that you request reimbursement. For your Careflex account, you will only get reimbursed for the amount you have contributed for the plan year to date.

Q:  When and how will I receive my reimbursement?

A:  Reimbursements are processed according to a schedule determined by your employer…daily, weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly.

Q:  Is reimbursement of an FSA expense based on the date of service or when I pay my bill?

A:  Reimbursement is based on the date that an eligible expense has been incurred.  You may be reimbursed for an expense that you have not been billed or paid for yet.

Q:  Why was my pre-payment of service rejected? 

A:  Reimbursement is based on date of service and not when the bill was paid.

Q:  Why was my over-the-counter (OTC) claim rejected?

A:  OTC expenses are not eligible unless you have a prescription from your doctor for medical necessity.  For a list of eligible OTC items, please see our Education section on this website.

Q:  I have more medical expenses this year than I elected for my Medflex Account.  Can I raise my annual election?

A:  No.  You must have a “Status Change”… marriage, divorce, birth, death, change of spouse’s coverage, etc…to refigure your election midyear.

Q:  Why must I attach documentation to my claim in order to request “my money”?

A:  IRS regulations dictate that documentation must be included with your claim in order for the Third Party Administrator (TPA), in this case GGA, to determine if the claim is an eligible expense.

Q:  When do I have to get reimbursed?

A:  You may request a reimbursement any time after you have incurred an eligible expense.  Some Participants request when they have an expense, and some request their money at the end of the Plan Year.  It is up to the Participant.

Q:  Is adult orthodontia eligible for reimbursement?

A:  For adult orthodontia, a letter of medical necessity is required stating why this treatment is necessary.  Any adult ortho for cosmetic purposes is not an eligible expense.

Q:  Instead of participating in the Cafeteria Plan Medical Reimbursement Account, why shouldn’t I take these deductions on my income tax?

A:  Claiming a tax return deduction is beneficial for people with significant medical expenses.  IRS regulations state that only medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income can be deducted from your income taxes.

Q:  I have been reading about the Flex Debit Card.  How can I get one?

A:  Your employer must subscribe to this service.  Contact your HR department and let them know you are interested in having the Debit Card.